Friday, March 13, 2009

Just a little sip of Mendoza

I rolled uneasily into Mendoza. I am wary of cities, they tend to leach the life from me. The din of aggravated car horns; the subtle stench of urine tucked in every corner; the filth of concentrated population; the panhandling and pickpocket; all blind me to a city´s cultural value. With that said, I loved Mendoza.

Mendoza balanced its dense cityscape with several pristine parks. The park´s sweet air carried down wide pedestrian avenues where grids of umbrella topped tables sprouted from the street like beds of red pansies. The scene was all very European as if transported from Florence or Paris. Waiters stood neatly dressed, a menu tucked under one arm, trying to entice passing pedestrians to dine. Musicians glided from table to table, lingering at groups of tourists and other potential tippers. Local diners sipped cappuccino with one leg cast over the other, a cigarette burning lazily between their fingers.

The parks served as stages for Peruvian musicians who played in traditional indigenous garb. They ran a clever racket, drawing large semicircle crowds, pretending to blow into flutes while the music actually came from a stealthily stowed iPod. An American I watched the performance with doubted that they were even from Peru: ¨I swear those dudes are Puerto Rican.¨ The deep whistling of the flutes gave the park a continuous soundtrack.

The park was structured around three fountains that projected water into the sky through a number of spouts. I never really appreciated fountains. It seemed like an unnecessary waste of water and energy. But I guess I have yet to see one that has achieved its designed effect for me. The perimeter of the park was held together by artensan stands. Hippies sat along the walls of the nucleus fountain, selling their goods on blankets and towels.

Around midday, uniformed students spilled out into the streets. The youngsters wore blue and white lab coats indicative of their age. Teenagers romped through the park in boisterous gaggles. Occasionally, a couple would break off from the group and retreat to a shady tree where they became wrapped around one another in a braid of adolescent love.

Drifting clouds of cheap marijuana smoke met with the ambient scent of cut grass, giving the park a fresh aroma. If it were bottled as a cologne, you might title it tranquilo.

I checked into a hostel down the street from the park where I reunited with Chris and Megan- this time intentionally. For some reason, everyone in the hostel seemed unusually fascinated with me. I was not being overly sociable or funny. In fact, I felt rather introverted. None the less, groups of Argentines continually called me over to there table- giving up their seats, feeding me their food and beer. The groups ringleader, a small Argentine who functioned in a caffeinated trance from continual mate consumption, affectionately called me Kurt Cobain on account of my long blond hair. While I found the nickname morbid and not especially flattering, I did not protest. I even strummed an air guitar when he introduced me to others.

My arrival in Mendoza was schedualed around the city´s annual Harvest Festival. Primped to perfection, Mendoza was hosting an international crowd the ran the spectrum: wine enthusiasts, backpackers, partiers.

NEW UPDATE FOR MOM AND DAD: I am jumping on a bus tomorrow to go back to Buenos Aires. I will arrive in Buenos Aires the 16th. I am not staying there tho, from B.A. Im heading into Uruguay. Everything is good! Love you lots!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rob, Was awakened by dad this early a. m. by dad saying "Rob, has a blog on the computer' which means hurry get up and read it as if letting it remain on the computer unread for an additional hour will put a hex on you in some way [it is Sunday and the late hour of 7:00 A.M.] But I know that no hex is more powerful then the protection of your angel and my angel my own personal one that I sent to you! I Loved the imagery you used in this entry "umbrellas like red pansies" "cologne{/] called tranquilityaaaaa" [prettier sounding when written in Spanish] and again you made me laugh with the story about the flute players in the park as well as the fans in the hostel. I am going to google "Kurt Cobaine" when I finish this to see if I see any similarities.....My mind is drifting up to your old bedroom 'which looks to me more like a storage bin and am trying to get some energy around making it a pleasant spot for your visit home but I imagine a bed free from bugs will be nervana to you. Aunt Joanne already gave me directives to not let your back pack into the house and for you to be checked out by an M,D. from head to foot as well as from inside and out! Love ,Your #1 fan [Dad ,would be your #1 worrier]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Rob,

    Today is St. Patrick's Day....I just got off the phone with your mother...she said they sang a beautiful song in Mass...to Our Lady of Knock's....Who, I said?...after googleing....found out that the Blessed Mother appeared at the church gates in the county of Mayo in the village of Knocks, witnessed by 15 people, ....reason I bring this up is how one's senses seem to come alive in these smaller places vs getting flushed away by the bustling of City life as you point out your preference for Village life vs. Superman or Spiderman's metropolis'....
    I loved your description of the umbrella's.
    I just finished a book by leo Tolstoy, "the Awakening"....like you, you are awakening....life has taken you to the next layer.
    Thank you for taking me on this journey with you, I am so proud of you....Your photo's are absolutely beautiful and your writing excellent....Looking forward to your return....stay smart and keep clear minded....sometimes near the end of things we relax a bit and may miss something that was the most important lesson of the journey.....
    "The first thing upon which we should meditate Is our precious and fleeting human life, Hard to obtain, and easy to destroy: I will now give it meaning ." Kalu Rinposhe...

    Love you very much....Aunt Joanne...Huggy Wuggy

    ReplyDelete