Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Crux

Heading east across central Argentina, I opted for a circuitous route towards the country´s wine capital, Mendoza. I hoped to stray from the well worn backpacker avenues and destinations where the local economy depends on tourism, and find a more authentic Argentina. My time in Horcon Chile exposed me to this seductive, albeit occasionally stressful, form of solo travel. The trade off for these experiences is being completely alone in a foreign world. Yet this unique solitude is part of the appeal. Rarely in life is true detachment possible. It is during these times when one´s self reliance is put to the test.

Bumping along on a regional bus, passing through tunnels cut into the mountainside, a unseen landscape unfolded before me. Many forget, as I did, that magnificent nature exists beyond Patagonia in Argentina. In fact, the highest mountain in South America, Aconcagua, is located in the region of Mendoza. The mountains here were far different than those in the South. Down in Patagonia, the peaks were often of clean granite that shot narrowly into the sky. Here the mountain´s staggering mass ate up the horizon, often stealing the sun in the late afternoon. The stone matches the region´s arid temperatures, painted in honey mustard yellows, squash oranges, and hot pepper reds. Their summits are cooled with pristine white snow that seems to contradict the dry heat at ground level. Rivers run brown down through the valleys like a never ending flow of chocolate milk.

My first stop was in Uspallata. Located about two and a half hours west of Mendoza, Uspallata is a one road town encircled by snow capped mountains. As I disembarked the bus, foreboding clouds crept overhead. I had planned to camp at a site in town, but with the sky beginning to whimper and cry, and my tent in no condition to weather a storm, I grabbed a room in a cheap hospedaje (bed & breakfast). Dropping my pack on one of the room´s twin beds, I returned to the street.

Uspallata´s recent claim to fame is that it was used for the filming of the late 90´s Brad Pitt film Seven Years in Tibet. After the filming a local bar bought up all the extra props and took the name Tibet Bar. Thirsty for a cold beer, I took a seat under an umbrella outside of the Tibet Bar. Sitting there, nursing a liter of Quilmes, I watched distant clouds strike at the horizon with bolts of lightening. As the corresponding thunder rolled, I realized this was the first time I had seen lightening since I first got to Argentina. This brewed the realization I had been on the road for a while.

Three months. Three months of bus rides; camping; hiking; fishing; blisters; sun burns; hostels; stress; laughs; scenery; friends; hunger; loneliness. The list goes on and on. While I refused to openly admit it, my mind and body could not deny that I was tired. An underlying current of exhaustion coated everything I did. The physical toll was manifest in my weight loss, the subtle forward roll of my shoulders, and my overall unkempt appearance. The mental exhaustion, however, was far more potent. Traveling alone, the mind runs on a loop. Beyond the constant interchange of thoughts of family, friends, and home, there is the running checklist of necessities. ¨Do I have my: passport, wallet, camera, fly rod?¨ Whenever the bus stops to pick up more passengers, I must shoot to the window and make sure no one steals my pack. I have gone weeks without real conversation with people. During these times, the volume on my internal voice is cranked. Without remiss from the continual weighing of concerns, the mind throbs.

My time in Uspallata passed uneventfully. Nursing the wounds of three months on the road, I lazily relished in the forgotten comforts of a clean, single room equipped with a television. Lying there, dressed in the tv´s flashing indigo, I became reacquainted with the world I left behind. All the reports were depressing; record unemployment; plummeting stocks; bankrupt companies. There was even a segment on the growing numbers at soup kitchens. Overwhelmed, I wondered if things had gotten markedly worse, or if my perspective had just changed.

Traveling plugged me into an intoxicating network of positive people. Fortified by a continuous flow of contagious energy, the negatives of the world scarcely penetrate it. Backpackers are free agents, abandoning the expected modes of society´s design, and striving for something that trumps all material: experience. They sacrifice the fundamental comforts of a normal life for the sake of perspective. While I admit there is a degree of selfishness inherent to this, it is a necessary evil in gaining understanding, and in turn, hopefully spawning tolerance. Weighing this perspective with the grim happenings flashing before me, I wondered how to reconcile the two. With a few days before Mendoza´s annual wine festival, I took a bus further east to Potrerillos. Much like Uspallata, Potrerillo´s modest infrastructure grew off a few winding roads that descended down a valley and met an ¨T¨ intersection running perpendicular to a bean shaped lake. On the opposite bank, a mountain crowded the scenery. Uneven throughout, the maroon mountain looked like a crude piece of clay thumbed into a basic form. I trudged up from the bus stop where a local drunk harmlessly called out to disembarking passengers, and found what looked to be a camp site. Passing over a cattle guard and into the property, there were kayaks and rafts strewn on the pebble coated pavement. ¨Hola¨, an unseen voice called out to me. I turned to find a man struggling with a big propane tank. He softly placed it down, and hurried over to me with an extended hand. A long gray beard extended from a stringy mass of ash hair.Wielding an excited smile, he took my hand in his calloused grasp, then took my wrist with his other hand as if to reconfirm the meeting. ¨Me llamo Paco, beinvindos.¨

I liked Paco immediately. He was a product of the sixties, still pushing along strong with flower power. The property looked like a hippy commune. Dogs and children pranced around happily. An open air kitchen was the site´s focal point. An enormous poster of John Lennon, post Bealtes, was bound to the kitchen´s ancient fridge. Dreadlocked men and women sat on the outdoor kitchen´s extended deck, making handmade necklaces and bracelets. They drank from a bottle of red wine that when empty Paco refilled with a big jug. Paco kept all of his money in a tupperware container that he left unattended on the kitchen table. Instead of camping, Paco offered me a bed in his ´hostel´. The hostel was a plywood room with two three bed bunks. A night off the ground and on a mattress cost me only five extra pesos. I picked the middle bed from the stack of three. This proved to be a wise choice as large rodents snuck into the room from under the space in the door and from the gaps in the roof at night. I happily spent the days before Mendoza´s wine festival swinging in a hammock reading.

TO MOM & DAD: Im headed way up to Salta for ten days. Ill give a call when I get settled

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty cool place to hang out before the wine festival. Any beatles music playing?

    Unemployment is at 9.8% today and will be nearing 11% by the end of the year (according to a meeting I had today). Things are tight right now. Enjoy the serenity.

    St. Patrick's Day in 1 week. If you can't find a Guinness, have a cigar.


    Call me in a month or so...

    k. Aid.
    ps. remember the time i was screaming "star wars" into a fan at crack house? hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, Loved your morning blog. My thoughts: I hope the months of travel 'as I think they have' has stripped you down to the essentials of life, those things that truly provide happiness'with that knowledge you are equipted to confront anything including the economic challenges here in the U.S. I think about what St. Paul wrote He had lived with plenty and want but in christ He had all things and could do all things for in Him everything is complete. I have often repeated Pauls words when I was confronted by a struggle or challenge " I can do everything in Christ Jesus' in Him who strengthens me" and out of the depths of my struggling soul emerges strenghth and resolve that I never knew was lingering there just waiting to be called upon. I know you have been having a struggle with some of the views of the Church,as I too have'but I pray that this paring down to the very essentials, will provide a time of true reflection and Providential revelation for with that this time of travel will bear abundant fruit for the rest of your life. Love you and miss you Your # 1 Fan [?]

    ReplyDelete