Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Now. Live it. The Prime Time of Your Life.

Extraordinary moments grace my days. My mind mutters the same statement over and over, ¨I cannot believe I am here right now. ¨ Last night I sat out on the hostel´s back patio, and listened to some fellow hostel residents play traditional Brazilian tunes on tambourine and guitar. Earlier in the night, I huddled with an Israeli and a Brazilian along the shores of Bariloche´s Nahuel Haupi and discussed life. ¨These are the moments¨, I said to them. ¨Three people, from three entirely different worlds, speaking the same truth.¨

For most of my formative experience I strove to live in the moment. The philosophy was repeated over and over in the hope of instilling it into my being. While the intention was everpresent, my mind frequently departed from the here and now and indulged in future fantasies. Here my mind is locked into the present. I am addicted to the now.

Having a true moment in the present is delightfully overwhelming. The mind becomes saturated and swollen with sensory overload. At first, it races to record the moment in elaborate detail. But soon, it realizes that this only compromises the full effect of the moment. Better to breath, shut off the analytical mode, and enjoy.

Emerging from the trance, a subtle sadness passes over the mind. It knows that that the moment can only be experienced once. Fortunately this woe is fleeting as the mind is seized once again by the extraordinary present.

5 comments:

  1. Humannnnn.... Robot

    Cant even begin to imagine how awesome these little experiences are going. I totally follow what you are saying when trying to savor a moment. If you begin to realize how great a moment it is, and as soon as you try too hard to remember everything, you lose it even more.

    Talk to you soon
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robbie-- This is that guy you talk with a few nights ago. To jar memory we talked on fishing and life, and both knew Tim Linehan. Just did a quick search for your blog, not hard to find. Hope the journey continues to go well. If you want to drop a line, search for Jon and Katie's Blog, email listed there. Cheers! Jon and Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Robbie. Your amazing mom gave me this website address yesterday, and I regret not having had enough time to really read what look like very interesting and well-written entries. Bad weather this weekend will keep me in, and I look forward to having a chance to escape through your words to an extraordinary place and experience for you. Then I will write more. Your mom, by the way, is my exercise class instructor, and she is a very important person in my life! Goodness, do I admire her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROB' THIS IS JUST A QUICK ENTRY TO MAKE SURE i have this down. love mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie, I just finished your entry written yesterday. your appritiating of the details of person and place has made me too aware of the beauty around me. often we ignore all that is right in front of us. This morning I realy looked at the morning sky as I drove to work. keep your mind in the beauty of the present moment as this is all we truly posess. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete